Pasta Caprese Recipe – tomato mozzarella basil pasta
Light summer dinner, ready in about 20 minutes, it’s all you need on a hot summer day!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 2 servings
- 7 oz fusilli pasta (200g)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or just olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 medium tomatoes 1 lb/450g
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest preferably from an organic lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or to taste
- a few tablespoons pasta cooking water
- 6 oz mozzarella (170g) preferably mozzarella di bufala
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- a handful fresh basil leaves
Cook the pasta al dente. Drain, reserving about half ½ cup of the pasta cooking water (!).
Using a sharp knife, slice a shallow X into the bottom of the tomato. Pour boiling water over the tomatoes, peel them and cut into ½ inch / 1.5 cm cubes.
Peel and cut the garlic into thin slices.
Heat the olive oil and butter in a large frying pan, add the garlic, cook over medium heat for about a minute.
Add the tomatoes and lemon zest, cook for a few minutes, the tomatoes should stay mostly chunky, but will release their juices a bit and they will, together will the olive oil and butter, form a sauce.
Add the lemon juice and a few tablespoons of pasta cooking water, just enough to thin the sauce a bit.
Remove the pan from the heat, add the cooked pasta, torn into smaller pieces mozzarella. Toss everything together, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Sprinkle with basil leaves, transfer to plates, serve warm.
What you could add to Pasta Caprese:
- pasta should be cooked al dente
- use fresh, summer and ripe tomatoes
- use olive oil and butter or just olive oil
- the best for this dish is mozzarella di bufala, it's really worth to buy it! do not use low-moisture (yellow) mozzarella
- don't omit the lemon zest and juice
- pan-fried or grilled chicken breast/shrimp
- sun-dried tomatoes
- balsamic vinegar