Chicken zucchini pasta with creamy lemon garlic sauce
Tender and juicy chicken breast and crunchy zucchini in a lemony cream sauce.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 2 servings
- 6 oz pasta fusilli or penne, 170g
- 2 small chicken breasts 11 oz/300g
- 1 small zucchini/courgette 9 oz/250g
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence French or Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons frying oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream 30-36%
- 1/4 cup broth vegetable or chicken broth, or 1/2 teaspoon crushed bouillon cubes (I use organic broth cube+ 1/4 cup pasta cooking water
- 1 teaspoon flour optional
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook the pasta al dente (the pasta should be slightly firm when bitten). If instead of broth you're using pasta cooking water, remember to reserve 1/4 cup of the water.
Cut the chicken into 1-inch/2.5 cm cubes, season with Herbes de Provence, salt and pepper. Cut the zucchini into 1/4-inch / 1/2 cm slices/half-slices.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat, add the chicken pieces. Don't stir for the first 2 minutes (you need to let the chicken properly brown), then cook for 2 more minutes, stirring from time to time, until the chicken is golden and almost completely cooked. Transfer to a plate.
Add the zucchini to the pan and cook it just like chicken. At first, do not stir for about 2-3 minutes, letting it brown, then stir and cook for another minute, the zucchini should still be slightly firm and not entirely cooked.
Add the finely chopped garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add the cream and broth (or 1/2 teaspoon of crushed bouillon cubes + 1/4 cup pasta cooking water), cook for 2-3 minutes, over medium-low heat, until the sauce is slightly thickened.
Add the chicken back to the pan, add the flour (it's optional, I add it to thicken the saucand the cooked pasta. Stir everything together, season with salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
- pasta - you can use any other type of medium-sized pasta in this recipe, for example, penne or elbows
- chicken - you can also use chicken thighs, turkey breast or just omit the meat and add more vegetables to make it vegetarian
- zucchini - instead of zucchini you could add broccoli or green beans
- herbs - I used store-bought French spice mix (Herbes de Provence), but you could also use Italian seasoning or just mixed herbs like basil, thyme or rosemary
- cream - you can add 1/2 cup heavy cream + 1/2 broth to make it lighter, but I find it tastes best, made as in the recipe
- calories count: 1 serving = 1/2 of the recipe
- cooking times, stated in the recipe, may be different for you, as it depends on the stovetop type, type of pan or heat used.