These sugared cranberries are super delicious are so easy to make, you only need 3 ingredients. They are a great Holiday snack, you can use them to decorate desserts, cocktails, or decorations trays - they just look so beautiful!
Servings 1 cup
- 1 cup (100g) fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup (120ml) orange juice or water
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
Add the orange juice and 1/4 cup (50g) of sugar into a medium pot. Heat over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved, don't bring to a boil (if it comes to a boil, let it cool slightly). Take the pot off the heat.
Wash the cranberries and sort out any that don’t look so great. Add them to the pot and stir to coat. Let the cranberries steep in the mixture for 15 minutes (you can also leave them in syrup in the fridge overnight).
Drain the cranberries on a sieve (or remove them from the pot with a slotted spoon) and transfer them to a tray lined with parchment paper. Reserve the syrup (if you like). Leave them to dry for 1 hour. After that time the cranberries should be dry but sticky.
Sprinkle the cranberries with sugar (add more or less if needed) and roll them in sugar until well coated. Let dry for 1 hour.
- How to use up leftover orange syrup: cook it for a couple of minutes to thicken and use up as syrup for pancakes, add to cocktails, or brush it on top of cakes.
- Storage: These cranberries keep well in the fridge in an uncovered container for up to 4-5 days, they are best up to 2 days though. After this time the sugar starts to fall off the cranberries. If they start to 'weep', just sprinkle them carefully with more sugar to freshen them up.
- Calories = 1/6 of the recipe (1 serving). This is only an estimate!