Parmesan Cauliflower Rice
Parmesan cauliflower rice is a flavorful side dish. I combined riced cauliflower with parmesan cheese, lemon zest, parsley, and garlic. Serve it with chicken, fish, or seafood for a light and delicious meal!
Servings 4 servings
- 5 cups cauliflower rice 18 oz/500g, 1 very small cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic pressed through a garlic press
- 1/2 cup broth vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (45g) grated Parmesan cheese
- zest grated from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
Make cauliflower rice:
Cut off the outer leaves of the cauliflower. Cut off the core, then divide the cauliflower into small florets.
Add the cauliflower florets in batches into a food processor and pulse until it resembles rice grains.
Measure out 5 cups of cauliflower rice (or 500g) for this recipe.
Cook the cauliflower:
Heat the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add the garlic and cook for 30-60 seconds or until fragrant.
Add the cauliflower rice. Cook over high heat, stirring, for about 3 minutes until slightly browned at the bottom.
Add the broth and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft but still a little bit crunchy (don't overcook it so it's not too soft).
Take the pan off the heat. Stir in grated Parmesan, lemon zest, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- You can also use store-bought cauliflower rice or frozen cauliflower.
- You can use vegetable broth, chicken broth, or good-quality broth cubes. Don't skip the broth - it's easier to cook cauliflower with it (it doesn't burn or stick to the pan) + adds more flavor to the dish. If you have a non-stick pan you can cook the cauliflower without the broth as it won't stick that much but I still recommend adding broth for flavor.
- How to store it: keep it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- How to reheat: cauliflower rice reheats very well. You can reheat it in a non-stick pan or bake it in a 350°F/180°C oven until warm (about 5-10 minutes).
- Make it ahead: you can make riced cauliflower and store it in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
- How to freeze: you can freeze riced cauliflower or cooked cauliflower rice and freeze it for up to 6 months. It will taste as good as freshly made but it will be a little less crunchy.
- If you don't have a food processor, you can also grate the cauliflower on the big holes of a box grater.
- Calories = 1 serving (1/4 of the recipe). This is only an estimate!