Strawberry Ghosts (Halloween Chocolate Covered Strawberries)
These strawberry ghosts are a fun and delicious Halloween treat. These are basically white chocolate covered strawberries that look like little spooky ghosts! They are super quick to make especially if you engage your little helpers!
Servings 15 chocolate covered strawberries
- 15 strawberries
- 5 oz white baking chocolate 140g
- 1 oz bittersweet chocolate 30g
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
Wash the strawberries and pat them dry with paper towels (it's important, otherwise the chocolate won't stick to the strawberries).
Melt the chocolate: add the chopped chocolate and coconut oil into a heat-proof bowl (metal or ceramic). Pour boiling water into a medium pot, put the bowl on top of the pot. The bowl shouldn't touch the surface of the water. Cook over the lowest heat, stirring the chocolate all the time, until it is melted. Take the bowl off the pot.
Dip the strawberries in chocolate. Place them on a tray lined with parchment paper. Let the excess chocolate drip off and form a tail. Spoon some extra chocolate with a teaspoon to create a ghost's tail.
Put the tray with strawberries in the fridge until the chocolate is set.
Melt the bittersweet chocolate using the same method or use a chocolate decorating pen to make two eyes and a mouth with the icing/melted chocolate (if using chocolate you can use a toothpick to do that).
Chill until the chocolate is set.
- Storage: these chocolate covered strawberries unfortunately can not be made ahead - they will look good on the outside but the strawberries will release juices and become mushy. I would store them for a maximum of a couple of hours in the fridge in a tightly closed container. They can not be frozen.
- You can also melt the chocolate in a microwave in 30 second increments until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Alternatives for the eyes and mouth:
- mini chocolate chips - stick them into strawberries
- chocolate icing decorating pen
- use store-bought candy eyes - make a homemade
- very thick chocolate icing by combining cocoa powder and a small amount of water.
- Calories = 1 chocolate covered strawberry (1/15 of the recipe). This is only an estimate!