Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto (Red Pesto)
Sun-dried tomato pesto is a delicious alternative to the traditional basil pesto. This aromatic red pesto sauce is made with sun-dried tomatoes, walnuts, parmesan, garlic, and basil. It makes a great pasta sauce or a sandwich spread!
Servings 1.5 cups
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil drained, 185g
- 1/3 cup walnuts 35g, or peeled almonds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese 70g
- 1/4 cup oil from the tomato jar 55g
- 1/8 teaspoon chili flakes optional
- zest grated from 1/2 lemon optional
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil 55g
- salt and pepper to taste
Add all the ingredients except the olive oil into a food processor bowl.
Mix over high speed until very finely chopped (it should be a little bit chunky and not completely smooth).
Add the olive oil and mix over low speed or pulse until well-combined.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Storage: This sun-dried tomato pesto will keep up in the fridge for up to 2-3 days (stored in a tightly closed container or tightly covered with plastic foil). If you want to keep it longer, pour a small layer of olive oil on top of the pesto. This way you can keep it in the fridge for up to a week. Pesto freezes very well. Put it in a tightly closed container or plastic bag and freeze for up to 4 months.
- Calories = whole recipe (this is only an estimate!).