Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry
Ham, cheese, and puff pastry and made for each other! These easy pastries come together in no time and are so delicious. The filling is made with just ham, cheese, and 3 ingredient honey mustard sauce. Serve them as an appetizer or a quick snack.
Servings 6 pastries
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 sheet puff pastry about 10 ounces or 285g
- 6 slices ham
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese 150g
- thyme leaves optional
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
In a small bowl, whisk together Dijon mustard, honey, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Roll out the puff pastry slightly into a rectangle, then cut into 6 squares (if it's already in a rectangle shape, leave it as is). Place each square on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Place a slice of ham on each square, then spread about 3-4 teaspoons of the sauce on the ham, top with shredded cheese, and sprinkle with thyme leaves.
Bring the four edges of each puff pastry square together towards the center and thoroughly pinch them together in the middle.
Make the egg wash: In a small bowl, beat the egg with 2 teaspoons of water. Brush the pastries with the mixture.
Bake for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 320°F (160°C) and bake for 10-15 minutes or until deeply golden (keep an eye on the pastries at the end of the baking time making sure they don't get too dark).
- Thaw your puff pastry in the fridge overnight. Make sure it’s cold before you start. Take it out of the fridge only if you have all your ingredients ready.
- Egg wash is optional, milk or heavy cream will also do if you don't want to use an egg. Egg wash is just used to get better color on the pastry but you don't have to brush the pastries at all.
- Calories = 1 pastry (1/6 of the recipe). This is only an estimate!