Strawberry Basil Cocktail
Strawberry basil cocktail is a light and refreshing summer cocktail made with rum, fresh strawberries, and basil leaves. It's super easy to make and so delicious - you will want to sip on it all summer long!
Servings 1 drink
strawberry basil simple syrup (makes more, enough for 3 drinks):
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 strawberries
- 4 large basil leaves
for one large drink:
- 1 3/4 ounces strawberry basil simple syrup (see above) 45 ml
- 1 1/2 ounces lemon juice freshly squeezed, 45 ml
- 3 ounces white rum 90 ml
- 4 strawberries divided
- 4 basil leaves divided
- 3 ounces sparkling water 90 ml, or still water
- a couple of ice cubes
Make the syrup: add water, sugar, sliced strawberries, and torn basil leaves into a small pot. Cook over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. While the syrup is coming to a boil, muddle (mash) the strawberries using a muddler or a wooden spoon to break up the strawberries and infuse the syrup with strawberry and basil flavor. Strain the syrup through a fine-mesh strainer, discard the strawberry pulp and basil leaves. Leave to cool.
Make the drink: add simple syrup, lemon juice, rum, 3 sliced strawberries, and 2 basil leaves into a short drink glass. Muddle (mash) the strawberries and basil just slightly to break them up and release the flavor.
Top with sparkling water, ice cubes, stir to combine. Add the remaining 1 strawberry (sliced) and 2 basil leaves for decoration.
Adjust the sweet-sour flavors if necessary by adding more lemon juice if the drink is too sweet or more syrup if the drink is too sour.
- Serve these drinks with teaspoons on the side - the boozy strawberries are delicious to eat from the drink.
- Please note that my glass was quite big, if you have a smaller glass reduce the amounts of ingredients.
- You can also use lime juice, but a little bit less (it's more sour).
- Be careful, this cocktail is really easy to drink!
- Calories = 1 drink. This is only an estimate!