Obatzda (German Cheese Dip)
Obatzda is a delicious German beer cheese dip made with just a couple of ingredients. It's so good it's really hard to stop eating it! Serve it with soft pretzels, soft pretzel bites, or crunchy fresh veggies. This dip would be perfect for an Oktoberfest party!
Servings 1.5 cups
- 6 ounces (170g) Camembert ripe and soft
- 4 ounces (115g) spreadable cheese (wedges) or cream cheese soft
- 3 tablespoons (45g) soft butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/4 medium red onion
- 2 tablespoons beer can be non-alcoholic
- salt and pepper to taste
Make sure to take the cheeses and butter out of the fridge to soften at least 1 hour before preparing the dip.
Grind the caraway seeds in a food processor / coffee grinder / using a mortar and pestle. Finely chop chives and onion. Rinse the onion in a sieve.
Cut Camembert into cubes and add to a large bowl. Add melting cheese, butter, paprika, ground caraway seeds, and cayenne. Mash the mixture with a fork (pastry cutter also works well) until just slightly chunky but mostly smooth.
Add chopped chives, chopped and rinsed onion, and beer. Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir until combined.
- You can serve this with pretzels, pretzels bites, sourdough bread, or vegetables such as radishes or red bell pepper.
- Onion can be omitted. Instead of beer, you can also use milk.
- If you're not planning to serve it right away, add the chives and onion just before serving (optional, but the dip tastes better if they are added just before serving).
- Calories = whole recipe. This is only an estimate!