Red cabbage, apple, pomegranate and walnut salad
Simple and easy, 4-ingredient, crunchy, sweet and sour salad. It’s delicious and looks really lovely on the table.
Servings 8 servings
- 14 oz red cabbage (400g) about 5 cups loosely packed shredded cabbage
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 large sweet apple or 1.5 medium/small apples
- 1 cup walnuts (3.5oz/100g)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and black pepper to taste
Cut the red cabbage into thin strips (as thinly as possible). You can also shred it in a food processor but I've found the best way to do it is by hand or on a mandoline.
Grate the apple on the large holes of a box grater (skin-on is fine).
Remove the seeds from the pomegranate fruit.
Toast the nuts on a dry pan until fragrant and lightly browned, take off the pan immediately. (this step is optional).
Combine all the salad ingredients, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- This salad taste best after a couple of hours. The cabbage and walnuts will be more soft and the flavors come together beautifully. It's also very good the next day (store it in the fridge).
- The most important is to cut the cabbage very thinly.
- Calories count = 1 serving (1/8 of the recipe). This is only an estimate!