Red cabbage and apple slaw is my favorite slaw recipe ever! Delicious, crunchy, sweet and sour salad. It looks beautiful on the table, just look at these colors! Its taste will delight you! All ingredients go extremely well together – sweet red cabbage and apple, sweet and sour pomegranate, crunchy walnuts and a simple vinegarette. It’s just a couple of ingredients but this recipe is a killer! It‘s a great side dish, I like to serve it with roasted duck or chicken.
This red cabbage slaw is super easy and consists of only 4 main ingredients (red cabbage, pomegranate, apple, and walnuts) or 3 vinegarette ingredients (olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar).
HOW TO MAKE RED CABBAGE SLAW – step by step:
These are complete instructions. Scroll down for printable recipe card.
1. Remove the seeds from 1 pomegranate fruit. The pictures above show my favorite way to do it – definitely less messy than just cutting it in half like I used to do!
How to cut pomegranate: Using a pairing knife remove the top of the pomegranate. Score the sides along the ridge down toward the bottom of the pomegranate. Try not to cut the seeds. Peel the pomegranate, then cut it into parts between the segments (just the white part). De-seed the segments.
2. Cut 14oz/400g red cabbage into thin strips (as thinly as possible). You should have about 5 cups loosely packed shredded cabbage. You can also shred it in a food processor but I’ve found the best way to do it is by hand or on a mandoline.
3. Grate 1 large sweet apple (or 1.5 medium/small apples) on the large holes of a box grater (skin-on is fine). I used Gala variety.
4. Combine all the salad ingredients in a big bowl. Toast 1 cup walnuts (3.5oz/100g) on a dry pan until fragrant and lightly browned, take off the pan immediately (this step is optional).
5. Season the salad with salt and pepper to taste and 4 Tbsp olive oil, 3 Tbsp lemon juice and 2 Tbs red wine vinegar. Stir everything together. Enjoy!
It’s worth to leave the slaw for a minimum of 1 hour, and better for 2-3 hours (or even longer), to allow the flavors to come together and the red cabbage and walnuts to soften.
Red cabbage, apple, pomegranate and walnut salad
- 14 oz red cabbage (400g) about 5 cups loosely packed shredded cabbage
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 large sweet apple or 1.5 medium/small apples
- 1 cup walnuts (3.5oz/100g)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Cut the red cabbage into thin strips (as thinly as possible). You can also shred it in a food processor but I've found the best way to do it is by hand or on a mandoline.
- Grate the apple on the large holes of a box grater (skin-on is fine).
- Remove the seeds from the pomegranate fruit.
- Toast the nuts on a dry pan until fragrant and lightly browned, take off the pan immediately. (this step is optional).
- Combine all the salad ingredients, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- This salad taste best after a couple of hours. The cabbage and walnuts will be more soft and the flavors come together beautifully. It’s also very good the next day (store it in the fridge).
- The most important is to cut the cabbage very thinly.
- Calories count = 1 serving (1/8 of the recipe). This is only an estimate!
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you liked it and give it a star rating in the comments below! You can also add a photo of your creation!