This is another dish from your favorite category – dinner in about 30 minutes on the table. This pasta dish will be ready in no time. It consists mainly of ingredients that you can keep in your pantry for a long time (the only fresh ingredients are onion and garlic). This tuna pasta with tomatoes is perfect for a weeknight dinner, it will fulfill and satisfy your whole family.
Tips for making tuna pasta with tomatoes and olives:
- Use a mixture of olive oil and clarified butter for cooking onion and garlic with herbs because they both taste great and add a different taste to the dish. I really like to use clarified butter, it doesn‘t burn as quickly as the regular butter, and its taste is just as delicious.
- Instead of canned tomatoes, you can use tomato passata or fresh, chopped tomatoes when they’re in season.
- You can add vegetable or chicken broth to the dish. I often use organic stock cubes, made with only natural ingredients.
- I used green olives, but black or kalamata lives would be a good substitute.
Give this dish a try, I guarantee you‘ll add it to your regular recipe rotation!
Tuna pasta with tomatoes and olives – step by step:
Tuna pasta with tomatoes and olives
- 200 g / 7 oz fusilli pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 400 g / 14-oz. can tomatoes or the same amount of tomato passata
- ½ cup broth vegetable / chicken broth or use organic stock cubes
- 1 160 g / 6-oz. can tuna in olive oil
- 14 green olives or black / calamata olives
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley
- Cook the pasta al dente (it should have a bite to it).
- Dice the onion, chop the garlic very finely.
- Heat the olive oil and clarified butter in a large pan.
- Add the onion and Italian seasoning, cook for about 6 minutes over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for one more minute.
- Drain the tuna using a sieve, cut the olives in half or into 3 parts.
- Add canned tomatoes, broth, tuna and olives to the pan. Cook, stirring from time to time, over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, optionally with a bit of lemon juice.
- Mix with cooked pasta, serve with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley (optional).
- This pasta dish reheats very well.
- Calories count = 1 serving (½ recipe).
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you liked it and give it a star rating in the comments below! You can also add a photo of your creation!
Last Updated on