This pasta dish will be ready in no time. It consists mainly of ingredients that you can keep in your pantry for a long time (the only fresh ingredients are onion and garlic). This tuna pasta with tomatoes and olives is perfect for a weeknight dinner, it will fulfill and satisfy your whole family. This is another dish from your favorite category – dinner in about 30 minutes on the table.
Tips for making tuna pasta with tomatoes and olives:
- Use a mixture of olive oil and clarified butter for cooking onion and garlic with herbs because they both taste great and add a different taste to the dish. I really like to use clarified butter, it doesn‘t burn as quickly as the regular butter, and its taste is just as delicious. If you don’t have clarified butter use regular butter.
- Instead of canned tomatoes, you can use tomato passata or fresh, chopped tomatoes when they’re in season.
- You can add vegetable or chicken broth to the dish. I often use organic stock cubes, made with only natural ingredients.
- I used green olives, but black or kalamata lives would be a good substitute.
Give this dish a try, I guarantee you‘ll add it to your regular recipe rotation!
Tuna pasta with tomatoes and olives – step by step:
STEP 1: Prepare all the ingredients. Heat the olive oil and butter in a pan, add the chopped onion and dried herbs. Cook until translucent.
STEP 2: Add the chopped garlic, cook for 1 minute.
STEP 3: Add the other ingredients: canned tomatoes, drained tuna, broth, and roughly chopped olives.
STEP 4: Simmer for about 10 minutes. Toss with pasta, sprinkle with parsley and grated parmesan. Enjoy!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT:
Tuna pasta with tomatoes and olives
- 200 g / 7 oz fusilli pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 400 g / 14-oz. can tomatoes or the same amount of tomato passata
- ½ cup broth vegetable / chicken broth or use organic stock cubes
- 1 160 g / 6-oz. can tuna in olive oil
- 14 green olives or black / calamata olives
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley
- Cook the pasta al dente (it should have a bite to it).
- Dice the onion, chop the garlic very finely.
- Heat the olive oil and clarified butter in a large pan.
- Add the onion and Italian seasoning, cook for about 6 minutes over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for one more minute.
- Drain the tuna using a sieve, cut the olives in half or into 3 parts.
- Add canned tomatoes, broth, tuna and olives to the pan. Cook, stirring from time to time, over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, optionally with a bit of lemon juice.
- Mix with cooked pasta, serve with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley (optional).
- This pasta dish reheats very well. Can also be frozen! (but the pasta won’t be al dente anymore).
- Instead of green olives you can use kalamata or black olives, but green olives works best for me in this recipe.
- Instead od canned crushed tomatoes you can use tomato passata or fresh tomatoes when they’re in season.
- This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
- Calories count = 1 serving (½ recipe).
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you liked it and give it a star rating in the comments below! You can also add a photo of your creation!