Nectarine and raspberry galette
Galette, sometimes called a rustic tart, is the simplest tart you can make. You don‘t need any baking pans. All you need to do is make a pie dough, put some fruit on top, fold the edges up around a pile of fruit filling and bake – that‘s it! You can use any fruit that you like, but in the recipe below I suggest a really great combination of nectarines / peaches with raspberries. What also distinguishes this recipe is pie crust. Cream cheese pie crust is really wonderful. Tastes slightly tangy and is super flaky. I encourage you to give this recipe a go just for this pie crust!
My other sweet tart recipes:
- almond, sweet cherry and chocolate tart
- fig and pistachio frangipane tart
- passion fruit curd meringue tart
- lemon cream tart with raspberries (number cake)
Nectarine and raspberry galette
cream cheese pie crust:
- 100 g / 3.5 oz all-purpose flour
- 40 g / 1.4 oz powdered sugar
- 100 g / 3.5 oz cream cheese cold
- 80 g / 2.8 oz butter cold
- pinch of salt
- 700 g / 24.7 oz nectarines or peaches
- 125 g / 4.4 oz raspberries
- 1 tablespoon potato starch or cornstarch
- 60 g / 2.1 oz sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk or ½ beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Making the crust by hand: mix the flour with powdered sugar and salt, add the cold cream cheese and diced butter, chop everything with a knife until a crumble forms (or rub the butter chunks and flour mixture with your fingers), then knead quickly with your hands, until dough forms a smooth ball (be careful not to overmix it!)
- If using a stand mixer: add flour, powdered sugar and salt to the mixing bowl, stir. Add the cold cream cheese and cold diced butter, mix at the lowest speed using a paddle-shaped attachment until dough forms a smooth ball (be careful not to overmix it!).
- If using a food processor: Add the flour, powdered sugar and salt into the bowl of a food processor, put the cold cream cheese and cold diced butter on top. Pulse with intervals until dough forms a smooth ball (be careful not to overmix it!).
- In all cases – flatten the dough, wrap in plastic foil and put in the fridge for 1 hour.
- After this time, preheat the oven to 190 °C / 375 °F / Gas Mark 5.
- In a medium bowl, mix the sugar with potato starch together.
- Wash the fruits, cut the nectarines into 8 wedges, pat the nectarines and raspberries (whole) dry using paper towels (it’s better to peel the nectarines, but it‘s not necessary).
- Add the nectarines (without the raspberries) to the bowl and toss with the starch and sugar mixture.
Assembling the galette:
- Roll out the dough on a piece of baking paper (well-sprinkled with flour) into a round, roughly 35 cm / 14 inch in diameter, transfer the dough with baking paper onto a baking tray.
- Pile the fruit in the center of the dough and spread out into an even layer, leaving a 4 cm / 1.6 inch border (leave out the fruit juice that will be at the bottom of the bowl), then place the raspberries on top.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 8 slits in the border of the dough, each running from fruit to the edge of the dough. Fold each segment of dough over fruits.
- Brush the edges of the dough with milk / beaten egg, sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes, until the dough is golden brown (also at the bottom) and the filling bubbling.
Did you make this recipe? Let mi know how you liked it in the comments below!