Delicious and super moist banana bread with milk chocolate and crunchy walnuts, spiced with cinnamon and cardamom (it smells so good!). I would say, that this is more a cake than bread because it’s very moist and soft, not dense, but I prefer my banana bread this way. When it’s warm you bite through pockets of melted chocolate and crunchy nuts, amazing!
Top tips for making the best banana bread with cinnamon, cardamom, chocolate, and walnuts:
- The best bananas to use here are bananas that are only just beginning to turn spotty and brown (not brown overripe bananas), really!
- Whisk the eggs with sugar until fluffy to ensure that the banana bread comes out really light and soft.
- I added light brown sugar instead of white, granulated sugar to make the banana bread even more moist.
- Instead of walnuts, you can add pecans.
- You can omit the cardamom if you don’t have it on hand, but it adds a nice spicy touch.
- You can easily double the recipe, you’ll need a bigger loaf pan 27×8.5 cm / 11×3.5 inch and bake the banana bread for 50 minutes.
Storing and freezing tips:
How to store banana bread: in a tightly closed container for up to 3-4 days, it tastes great also on the next day!
How to freeze banana bread: it freezes very well. Wrap in plastic foil and freeze. Defrost in the refrigerator then warm up in the oven at 320F/160C.
Another banana bread recipe from my blog: banana bread with blackberries and chocolate.
Banana bread with cinnamon, cardamom, and chocolate
- 1 big egg
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp light brown sugar 70g / 2.5 oz
- ½ cup butter melted and cooled, 60g / 2.1 oz
- 2 big bananas mashed with a fork, 200g / 7 oz
- 1/2 banana sliced, reserve for topping
- 1 cup + 1.5 Tbsp flour scooped and leveled, 140g / 5 oz
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon preferably Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom can be omitted
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- a pinch of salt
- 2 oz milk chocolate ½ 4-oz bar, broken into small pieces, 50g
- ¼ cup walnuts roughly chopped, 25g, or pecans
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C / 350 °F / gas 4, no fan.
- Prepare all the ingredients.
- Prepare a small rectangular 17.5×8.5 cm / 7×3.5 inch loaf pan by buttering it and lining it with parchment paper.
- In a small pot melt the butter, take it off the heat and let it cool.
- Place the egg and sugar in a mixing bowl, whisk it with a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on medium-high speed for 5 minutes until the mixture is pale, light and foamy.
- Add the 2 bananas and melted and cooled butter, mix until just combined.
- Mix flour, salt, spices, baking powder, and baking soda together.
- Sieve the flour mixture into the banana mixture, stir in with a spatula, until almost combined.
- Add the chocolate and walnuts, fold in, taking care not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Lay the banana slices (the reserved ½ banana) on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. It may run longer or shorter in your oven.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you liked it and give it a star rating in the comments below! You can also add a photo of your creation!
Last Updated on