Delicious and quick to make smoked trout spread with eggs and cream cheese. I like it most served on a piece of bread, sprinkled with chives but you could also serve this as a dip, with crackers or grissini breadsticks. Instead of smoked trout, you can also add other smoked fish like smoked mackerel.
If you’re looking for other spread/dip recipes, try also this paprika cheese spread – liptauer.
Ingredients: I used smoked trout but any other white-fleshed smoked fish would work, like mackerel (you could also use smoked salmon but the taste of the spread would be very different). If smoked food is not your favorite thing in the world, don’t worry. Smoked trout is usually just mildly smoked. The egg and cream cheese add body to the spread/dip. The spread is seasoned with mustard and mayo, which add sharpness to the dip. Buttermilk is used to make it more spreadable (you can use milk instead) and lemon juice adds freshness and a tang to the dip making it the best smoked trout spread ever.
How to make it: It couldn’t be simpler. Hard boil an egg, check the fish for the bones and then just add all the ingredients to a food processor bowl and mix until combined. If you don’t have a blender/hand blender/food processor you can chop the fish and the egg very finely and stir with the other ingredients until combined. I will be more chunky vs completely smooth, but maybe this is what you prefer.
Garnish: I sprinkled the dip with chives. It’s really necessary, chives add amazing sharpness and a pop of color!
Make ahead: This dip can be made ahead. Store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. It tastes the same if not better.
What to serve it with: I usually serve it for breakfast, as a bread spread (with crusty bread, baguettes or bagels) or for a party, as a dip that you can scoop with crackers, fresh veggies (like celery sticks) or grissini.
Smoked trout spread with eggs and cream cheese
RATE THE RECIPE
(click on the stars)
- 4.4 oz smoked trout (125g) 1 fillet without skin and grates, can be other smoked fish
- 1 large hard-boiled egg
- 1/2 cup cream cheese 3.5 oz / 100g
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk or milk / plain yogurt
- salt and black pepper to taste
- to garnish: chives
- Hard-boiled the egg: In a small pot bring water to a boil, carefully lower the egg into the pot, cook for 7 minutes, counting from when the water starts to boil, scoop the egg out and immediately place in cold water and peel it.
- Break up the trout fillet into larger pieces, add to a food processor bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with chives.
- Serve on a piece of bread or with crackers / grissini.
- If you don’t have blender/hand blender/food processor you can chop the fish and the egg very finely and stir with the other ingredients until combined.
- Make sure to check if the fish doesn’t have any grates, first.
- You can use other white-fleshed smoked fish, like mackerel.
- Make ahead: This dip can be made ahead. Store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. It tastes the same if not better.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you liked it and give it a star rating in the comments below! You can also add a photo of your creation!