Hot Toddy is a warm, sweet, and refreshing drink made with whiskey, honey, and lemon. It´s perfect for cold winter nights! Even if you´re not a big whiskey drinker, you will still like it!
Below you will find information about the ingredients and how to prepare the recipe. For the measurements and detailed instructions scroll down to the printable recipe card.
Here´s what you need to make this easy recipe:
- Whiskey – any kind you like to drink. You can also use bourbon, dark rum, or brandy.
- Lemon – you will need freshly squeezed lemon juice and a slice of lemon. Lemon slice is used to keep all the cloves in one place but it also kind of ´perfumes´ the drink with lemon zest. The drink is really better with the lemon slice than without.
- Honey – a sweetener. You can use demerara or brown sugar instead, or even maple syrup.
- Cloves – add flavor to the drink. You can also add a stick of cinnamon but I prefer this drink without it. A small piece of star anise can also be added.
- Boiling water – hot toddy is a warm drink! Instead of boiling water you can use black tea or earl grey tea.
- You could also add a small piece of fresh ginger.
- If you´d like to make this alcohol-free (a mocktail), use 3/4 cup of boiling water and brew tea in it.
How to make hot toddy step by step
STEP 1: Pour boiling water into a heat-proof glass in which you will make the drink and leave for a couple of minutes to warm up (this insures the cup and your drink will stay warm longer). Pour out the water.
STEP 2: Slice the lemon and squeeze out the juice. Press cloves into the lemon slice.
STEP 3: Add 1/2 cup of boiling water to the glass.
STEP 4: Add lemon slice with cloves.
STEP 5: Add lemon juice.
STEP 6: Add honey and stir until dissolved.
STEP 7: Add whiskey.
STEP 8: Stir until combined. Enjoy right away!
It´s a warm lemon water-based alcoholic beverage made most commonly with whiskey and sweetened with honey. It is a British drink. It is also known as hot whiskey in Ireland.
You will definitely feel better after drinking it but the truth is that alcohol is an immuno-suppressant and won´t help you with a cold. Hot liquids of any kind are a good way to soothe a sore throat, but that´s about it. If you´re looking for a similar hot beverage that will really help with your cold, try this non-alcoholic lemon ginger water.
Hot toddy is not a strong drink but if you drink too much, it will get you drunk!
Any kind of whiskey that you like to drink (or have on hand!) is good for hot toddy. The nuances in flavor won´t be very noticeable.
The word toddy comes from an Indian toddy drink, made by fermenting the sap of palm trees. The earliest mention of “a beverage made of alcohol with hot water, sugar, and spices” comes from the year 1786.
Some sources say that the hot toddy were prescribed by doctors for cold in the 19th century.
Did you make this recipe? RATE THE RECIPE or tell me in the COMMENTS how you liked it! You can also add a photo of your dish. It would make me very happy and will help other readers. Thank you!!
RATE THE RECIPE
(click on the stars)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) boiling water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 slice lemon
- 4 cloves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 1/2 ounces (45ml) whiskey
- Pour boiling water into a heat-proof glass in which you will make the drink and leave for a couple of minutes to warm up (this insures the cup and your drink will stay warm longer). Pour out the water.
- Slice the lemon and squeeze out the juice.
- Press cloves into the lemon slice and add it to the glass.
- Add 1/2 cup of boiling water, lemon juice, then honey, and stir until dissolved.
- Add whiskey and stir.
- Enjoy right away!