This avocado sauce is so delicious and easy to make. You just need a couple of ingredients and a food processor/blender. You can use it as a taco sauce, wrap sauce, or as a dipping sauce for quesadillas. It’s thick and creamy but also tangy and refreshing.
Here’s what you need to make avocado sauce:
- avocado – make sure it’s ripe
- sour cream – you can also use Greek yogurt instead but you may need to add a little bit more lime juice to the sauce
- garlic – I’m using a small amount of fresh garlic and dried
- fresh cilantro – you can use leaves and stems
- lime juice – for a tangy and refreshing sauce, lime’s sourness may vary so add it to your taste, you can also use lemon juice here but lime juice is better, please use just freshly squeezed juice!
- milk – just to thin out the sauce, you can also use water
- you could also add a deseeded jalapeno to this sauce for some heat
How to make avocado sauce step by step
Peel the avocado and remove the pit.
Add all the ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth. You can also use a hand/immersion blender.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
You can adjust it to your taste by adding more lime juice or its consistency by adding more milk/water (but if you’re planning to use it for wraps, it can’t be too thin or your wraps will be mushy).
- add it to these Chicken Fajita Wraps
- serve it with Chicken Fajitas or in these Chicken Fajita Bowls
- use it as a sauce for tacos (it would be great with these fish tacos) or burritos
- use it as a dipping sauce for quesadillas, nachos, zucchini fries (the recipe is coming soon), baked potato wedges, or vegetables
- it’s a great sauce for sandwiches and burgers
Cover the sauce immediately with plastic foil – it should touch the surface of the sauce to prevent browning. After a day or two, the surface of the sauce will brown a little but the flavor stays the same. Keep it for up to 3 days in the fridge.
RATE THE RECIPE
(click on the stars)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 small clove garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the avocado and remove the pit.
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.