Chicken quesadilla recipe with mushroom bell pepper and corn
Quesadillas are a Mexican dish consisting of tortillas with cheese filling (queso is Spanish for cheese). Often vegetables or meat are added (but basic recipe has only cheese in it). The key to a good tortilla is a large amount of cheese that holds the filling together. I like them the most with cheddar cheese but every other melting cheese will work. I really like to make quesadillas from a single tortilla, not two, because it’s easier to flip over. The chicken is tender and perfectly seasoned. I’ve added also a lot of vegetables – one of my favorite concoctions of cremini mushrooms, red bell pepper and corn. Quesadillas are great for lunch or as a party appetizer. I served them with a refreshing dip made of sour cream, yogurt and lime juice.
Chicken quesadilla recipe with mushroom, bell pepper and corn
- 2 small chicken breasts 300g / 11 oz or 1 large chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoons paprika powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons frying oil
the other ingredients:
- 1 red bell pepper
- 200 g / 7 oz cremini mushrooms or button mushrooms
- 2 heaped tablespoons canned corn 60g
- 200 g cheese cheddar, emmentaler or other melting cheese
- 4 large tortillas
- 3 tablespoons sour cream 12%
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice or lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the chicken into small cubes. In a small bowl, mix the spices together and rub the chicken with the spice mix, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large frying pan, heat a tablespoon of oil over high heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 3 minutes without stirring. Then cook, stirring for a few more minutes until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- While the chicken is cooking, cut the mushrooms into ½ cm / ¼ inch half-slices and the bell pepper into small cubes. When the chicken is ready, add to the pan, spread out in an even layer. Cook without stirring for about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, cook, stirring from time to time, for another 5 minutes, until browned and tender. Transfer to a plate.
- Leave the chicken, mushrooms and bell pepper to cool slightly, then add the corn and grated cheese, mix together and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the filling into 4 parts and spread each part evenly over half of each tortilla. Press the filling slightly to make it more compact.
- Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently. Lightly oil a big frying pan and cook the tortillas over medium heat, two at a time, on both sides. They’re ready when lightly browned on both sides and the cheese is melted.
- Transfer the tortillas on a plate. Sprinkle with a little salt, while still warm and cut each tortilla into 4 parts.
- Mix the ingredients for the sauce together and serve with quesadillas.
Did you make this recipe? Let mi know how you liked it in the comments below!
Chicken quesadilla recipe – step by step: