These halloumi burgers make a delicious vegetarian dinner and will be ready in just 30 minutes. They’re made with delicious grilled halloumi cheese, sweet and sour pineapple, creamy avocado, lettuce, and flavorful lime and coriander sauce. They’re so good and flavorful!
Do you like this flavor combination? Try out halloumi salad! (also with pineapple and avocado).
What is halloumi cheese?
Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese made with sheep’s or goat’s milk or a mixture of both. It’s a semi-hard cheese that is perfect for grilling as it doesn’t melt and retain its shape after cooking. It’s a very popular ingredient in the Mediterranean, and especially Cypriot and Greek cuisine. It’s slightly salty, has a distinct flavor and a slightly rubbery texture.
If you use store-bought hamburger buns, these halloumi burgers will be ready in no time. I used brioche hamburger buns (with good ingredient list), they‘re light and buttery.
How to make these burgers:
They can be made on a regular pan / grill pan / or on a grill !
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a food processor.
- Grill the halloumi cheese slices on both sides until golden.
- Grill the fresh pineapple slices.
- Mash and season the avocado.
- Assemble the burgers.
How to assemble the burgers:
- Toast the hamburger buns.
2. Spread the mashed avocado on top.
3. Top with the grilled halloumi cheese.
4. And the grilled pineapple spices.
5. Coriander and lime sauce goes on top.
6. Then the lettuce leaves. It’s done!
How to make it ahead:
This dish is actually very quick to prepare but if you want to make part of it ahead, the only thing you can do is to make the sauce. Smashed avocado can’t be made ahead because it will darken and won’t look very appealing. Grilling the cheese and pineapple don’t take very long.
What to serve it with:
These burgers are pretty fulfilling on its own, but you could serve them with:
- fries / potato wedges
- Cucumber avocado tomato salad with dill and feta
Give it a try, this dish is light, but also very fulfilling, even for the meat-eaters!
If you can’t stand a dish without meat, try these salmon burgers with pineapple and guacamole, they’re similar. They are made with salmon patties, grilled pineapple, guacamole and sweet and sour pineapple bbq sauce.
Halloumi Burgers (with pineapple and avocado)
RATE THE RECIPE
(click on the stars)
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 tablespoon frying oil
- 9 oz (250g) halloumi cheese or another grilling cheese
- ½ medium pineapple 4 thick slices, fresh, not canned
- 4 small lettuce leaves
- 2 avocado
- juice from 1 lime
- pinch of chilli flakes or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
coriander and lime sauce:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream 12%
- a small handfull fresh coriander leaves (10g)
- juice from ¼ lime
- salt to taste
- Make the sauce: Place all the sauce ingredients in a food processor bowl, puree until smooth and thick, season with salt to taste, set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of frying oil on a grill pan / regular frying pan over medium heat.
- Slice the halloumi into ¼ inch (¾ cm) slices. Grill the slices for a few minutes on both sides until lightly browned on the outside and warm and soft through the middle. Transfer to a plate.
- Peel the pineapple, cut into ½ inch (1 cm) slices, cut out the tough core (I like to use an apple corer for that). Grill the slices for a few minutes on both sides until lightly browned and softened. Transfer to a plate.
- Grill the sliced hamburger buns very briefly (about 30 seconds) until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Prepare the avocado: cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop out the flesh. Mash with a fork, mix with the lime juice, season with chili flakes (optional), and salt and black pepper to taste.
- Assemble: spread avocado mixture on one half of each bun, top with halloumi slices, then pineapple slices, spoon over the sauce, place the lettuce leaves on top, cover with the other half of the bun.
- This dish is actually very quick to prepare but if you want to make part of it ahead, the only thing you can do is to make the sauce. Smashed avocado can’t be made ahead because it will darken and won’t look very appealing. Grilling the cheese and pineapple don’t take very long.
- The recipe yields 4 burgers. Calories = 1 serving (2 burgers, 1/2 of the recipe). This is only an estimate!
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you liked it and give it a star rating in the comments below! You can also add a photo of your creation!