Autumn apple walnut cake, perfect for tea time. It’s fluffy, super moist, loaded with apples, nuts, and cinnamon. It‘s simple and quick to make. I used brown sugar, its caramel taste works here great, I also swapped half of it for honey. Thanks to the addition of honey, this cake is more moist – even on the second and third day!
- Which apple variety is best: I used a semi-firm apple variety. Very soft apples will moisten the cake too much and hard apples have a too firm texture for my liking. I used Gala variety for this recipe – it has a semi-firm texture and is slightly sweet. You can also use more tart apples for this recipe if you prefer them in your baking goods, but I wouldn’t recommend for example Granny Smith, as they are very firm. Golden Delicious is another good apple variety for this recipe.
- Instead of walnuts, you can also add pecans.
Step by step instructions:
STEP 1: Start by preparing all your ingredients and a 27 cm / 11-inch round springform cake pan, by greasing it lightly butter and lining with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 160°C / 325°F / Gas Mark 3, no fan.
STEP 2: Using a mixer, whisk the eggs with sugar until light and fluffy, it will take about 4-5 minutes.
STEP 3: Slowly pour in the oil in a thin stream, mixing at the lowest speed.
STEP 4: Mix the honey with vanilla extract together, slowly pour in a thin stream, mixing at the lowest speed.
STEP 5: In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl, fold in with a silicone spatula until just combined, not longer. You don’t want to overmix the batter so that the cake is light and fluffy.
STEP 6: Gently fold in the cubed apples and roughly chopped walnuts with a silicone spatula.
STEP 7: Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cool slightly and serve!
Top tips for making the best apple walnut cake:
- It’s important to whisk the eggs with sugar for a minimum of 4-5 minutes. They need to be really fluffy and pale. Thanks to that the cake will be also light and fluffy.
- Add the oil and honey-vanilla extract mixture in a thin stream, do not add it all at once and mix at the lowest speed of the mixer. This will ensure that these ingredients are well combined with the batter.
- Gently fold in the flour mixture and then the apples and nuts. Don’t overmix the batter or it will be dense.
- Measure the flour and all the other ingredients correctly (more on that below).
How to measure flour:
How to measure flour: if you will use a kitchen scale to measure out all the ingredients, it all goes easy breezy! But if you’re using measuring cups, remember that 1 cup of flour can weigh 120-150g, depending on how you’re filling your cup. Don’t scoop the flour directly into the measuring cup, which can compact it! 1 cup of flour in my recipes weighs 125g. To correctly measure the flour, you need to:
- Fluff the flour by stirring it in the bag/flour container with a spoon.
- Spoon the flour and sprinkle it into your measuring cup.
- Sweep off the excess flour with the back of a knife.
- I served it sprinkled with powdered sugar/confectioners’ sugar but you could also serve it with caramel sauce, whipping cream, or chocolate sauce.
- Vanilla ice cream would be also a wonderful addition.
- Cream cheese frosting (recipe here: carrot layer cake with cream cheese frosting).
Storing and freezing tips:
* How to store apple cake with walnuts: Store the cake in a tightly closed container, at room temperature. It will keep for several days. On the next day, it tastes as good as right after baking.
* How to freeze this apple walnut cake: This cake freezes very well. Cut it into pieces (it’s better, but you can also leave it whole) and freeze. Bake at 160°C / 325°F / Gas Mark 3, no fan until defrosted and warm.
Apple walnut and honey cake – easy and super moist!
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup light brown sugar 100g / 3.5 oz, scoop and leveled
- ¾ cup vegetable oil neutral-flavored, 170g / 6 oz
- ½ cup honey 160g / 5.6 oz, preferably with mild, delicate flavor
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose-flour 280g / 9.9 oz, spoon and leveled
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon preferably Ceylon cinnamon
- 4 cups chopped apples cut into 1.5-2 cm / ¾ – 1 inch cubes, 6 very small apples, 800g / 1.7 lbs
- 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts 100g / 3.5 oz, or pecans
- Prepare a 27 cm / 11 inch round springform cake pan, grease it lightly butter and line with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C / 325°F / Gas Mark 3, no fan (if you have convection oven, reduce the temperature by about 20 degrees).
- Using a mixer, whisk the eggs with sugar until light and fluffy, it will take about 4-5 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the oil in a thin stream, mixing at the lowest speed.
- Mix the honey with vanilla extract together, slowly pour in a thin stream, mixing at the lowest speed.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl, fold in with a silicone spatula until just combined, not longer.
- Peel and core the apples, cut into 1.5-2 cm / ¾ – 1 inch cubes. Roughly chop the walnuts.
- Add the apples and nuts to the batter, fold in gently with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. The baking time may slightly vary, depending on the oven. A cake tester or a wooden skewer, stuck in the center of the cake, should come out clean.
- Wait until partially cooled, then cut into servings. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you liked it and give it a star rating in the comments below! You can also add a photo of your creation!