Autumn apple walnut cake, perfect for tea time. It’s fluffy, super moist, loaded with apples, nuts, and cinnamon. It‘s simple and quick to make. It’s sweetened with both brown sugar and honey. Brown sugar adds amazing caramel flavor and the honey makes the cake super moist. It also tastes amazing the next day!
- Which apple variety is best: I used a semi-firm apple variety. Very soft apples will moisten the cake too much and hard apples have a too firm texture for my liking. I used Gala variety for this recipe – it has a semi-firm texture and is slightly sweet. You can also use more tart apples for this recipe if you prefer them in your baking goods, but I wouldn’t recommend for example Granny Smith, as they are very firm. Golden Delicious is another good apple variety for this recipe.
- Nuts: Instead of walnuts, you can also add pecans or omit the nuts completely.
- Instead of cinnamon: you could add pumpkin pie spice or even gingerbread spice mix for a Christmassy twist on the recipe.
Step by step instructions:
STEP 1: Start by preparing all your ingredients and a 27 cm / 11-inch round springform cake pan, by greasing it lightly butter and lining with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 160°C / 325°F / Gas Mark 3, no fan.
STEP 2: Using a mixer, whisk the eggs with sugar until light and fluffy, it will take about 4-5 minutes.
STEP 3: Slowly pour in the oil in a thin stream, mixing at the lowest speed.
STEP 4: Mix the honey with vanilla extract together, slowly pour in a thin stream, mixing at the lowest speed.
STEP 5: In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl, fold in with a silicone spatula until just combined, not longer. You don’t want to overmix the batter so that the cake is light and fluffy.
STEP 6: Gently fold in the cubed apples and roughly chopped walnuts with a silicone spatula.
STEP 7: Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cool slightly and serve!
How long to bake this cake: the baking time may vary depending on the oven! It may be quicker or longer for you. Just check with a cake tester in the middle. When it comes out clean – the cake is ready.
Top tips for making the best apple walnut cake:
- It’s important to whisk the eggs with sugar for a minimum of 4-5 minutes. They need to be really fluffy and pale. Thanks to that the cake will be also light and fluffy.
- Add the oil and honey-vanilla extract mixture in a thin stream, do not add it all at once and mix at the lowest speed of the mixer. This will ensure that these ingredients are well combined with the batter.
- Gently fold in the flour mixture and then the apples and nuts. Don’t overmix the batter or it will be dense.
- Measure the flour and all the other ingredients correctly (more on that below).
How to measure flour:
How to measure flour: if you will use a kitchen scale to measure out all the ingredients, it all goes easy breezy! But if you’re using measuring cups, remember that 1 cup of flour can weigh 120-150g, depending on how you’re filling your cup. Don’t scoop the flour directly into the measuring cup, which can compact it! 1 cup of flour in my recipes weighs 125g. To correctly measure the flour, you need to:
- Fluff the flour by stirring it in the bag/flour container with a spoon.
- Spoon the flour and sprinkle it into your measuring cup.
- Sweep off the excess flour with the back of a knife.
- I served it sprinkled with powdered sugar/confectioners’ sugar but you could also serve it with caramel sauce, whipping cream, or chocolate sauce.
- Vanilla ice cream would be also a wonderful addition.
- Cream cheese frosting (recipe here: carrot layer cake with cream cheese frosting).
Storing and freezing tips:
* How to store apple cake with walnuts: Store the cake in a tightly closed container, at room temperature. It will keep for several days. On the next day, it tastes as good as right after baking.
* How to freeze this apple walnut cake: This cake freezes very well. Cut it into pieces (it’s better, but you can also leave it whole) and freeze. Bake at 160°C / 325°F / Gas Mark 3, no fan until defrosted and warm.
More apple recipes you may like:
- pumpkin apple ring pancakes
- apple tart with meringue topping
- shredded carrot and apple slaw
- apple crepes.
Apple walnut and honey cake – easy and super moist!
RATE THE RECIPE
(click on the stars)
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup light brown sugar 100g (3.5 oz)
- ¾ cup vegetable oil neutral-flavored, 170g (6 oz)
- ½ cup honey 160g (5.6 oz), preferably with mild, delicate flavor
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose-flour 280g (9.9 oz), spooned and leveled, not scooped
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 cups chopped apples cut into 1 ½-2 cm (¾ – 1 inch) cubes, 6 very small apples, 800g (1.7 lbs)
- 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts 100g (3.5 oz), or pecans
- Prepare a 27 cm / 11 inch round springform cake pan, grease it lightly butter and line with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C / 325°F / Gas Mark 3, no fan (if you have convection oven, reduce the temperature by about 20 degrees).
- Using a mixer, whisk the eggs with sugar until light and fluffy, it will take about 4-5 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the oil in a thin stream, mixing at the lowest speed.
- Mix the honey with vanilla extract together, slowly pour in a thin stream, mixing at the lowest speed.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl, fold in with a silicone spatula until just combined, not longer.
- Peel and core the apples, cut into 1.5-2 cm / ¾ – 1 inch cubes. Roughly chop the walnuts.
- Add the apples and nuts to the batter, fold in gently with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. The baking time may slightly vary, depending on the oven. A cake tester or a wooden skewer, stuck in the center of the cake, should come out clean.
- Wait until partially cooled, then cut into servings. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? RATE THE RECIPE or tell me in the COMMENTS how you liked it! You can also add a photo of your dish. It would make me very happy and will help other readers. Thank you!!