Oatmeal is one of our favorite breakfast recipes – it’s delicious, filling, and healthy. Take your oatmeal to the next level with our 50+ oatmeal topping ideas. Toppings are a fantastic way to add a pop of color and even more flavor to your oatmeal.
Check out our 13+ oatmeal recipes that we have on our website.
1) Fresh Fruit
Fresh fruit is my favorite oatmeal topping. Here are the best fruits to top your oatmeal with:
- my favorites are sliced bananas and fresh berries such as strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries
- other great options are sliced pears or apples, plums, apricots, grapes, sweet cherries, diced mango or pineapple
- in winter try topping your oatmeal with orange or grapefruit slices
2) Dried Fruit
Dried fruit makes a great topping for oatmeal, try adding:
- sour cherries
- dried apricots
- freeze-dried strawberries – add flavor and crunch
3) Nuts and Seeds
Nuts and seeds add great flavor and crunch to your oatmeal. They’re also super healthy! Try adding:
- Nuts such as: walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts, cashews, roasted and salted peanuts, shredded or flaked coconut, or pistachios.
- Seeds such as: chia seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds.
- Pomegranate seeds – are amazing on oatmeal. They add an amazing sweet and sour flavor and also crunch.
4) Nut Butter
Try adding a drizzle of peanut butter or almond butter on top of your oatmeal. If your nut butter is too thick or you want it sweeter, you can combine your nut butter with some maple syrup to make it more runny.
5) Maple syrup or Honey
A healthy way to sweeten your oatmeal. A great alternative to those would be date syrup or agave syrup.
5) Sauteed Cinnamon Apples
Sauteed cinnamon apples are apples that are cooked in a pan until soft and delicious. They are cooked in butter and then seasoned with vanilla, cinnamon, and lemon juice. This recipe is so good, I’m using this topping for many recipes such as pancakes, or even as a filling for crepes.
6) Saucy Spiced Pears
This is my favorite topping for my coconut oatmeal. Pears are briefly cooked until soft but not falling apart and are coated in syrupy sauce and seasoned with aromatic spices such as cinnamon and cardamom.
Add a dollop of plain yogurt or Greek yogurt on top of your oatmeal.
Chocolate chips or chopped chocolate are a great way to add a little bit of indulgence to your oatmeal.
Granola adds crunch and flavor and is perfect for topping your oatmeal.
10) Cream cheese topping
Cream cheese topping is my favorite topping for my carrot cake oatmeal.
10) Indulgent options
When I eat my oatmeal on the weekends, I usually add something indulgent on top, such as:
- whipped cream
- caramel sauce
- hot fudge sauce
- chocolate hazelnut spread
- chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups
- a drizzle of chocolate sauce
13) Flavor combinations
- Banana Bread topping – sliced bananas, walnuts, cinnamon, maple syrup, chocolate chunks
- Almond Joy topping – chocolate chips, almonds, coconut flakes
- PB & J topping – a drizzle of jam and peanut butter
- Apple Pie topping – apple slices, walnuts, maple syrup, or sauteed cinnamon apples + walnuts
- Elvis Oatmeal-inspired toppings – Peanut Butter, Banana, Brown Sugar
- Tropical toppings – mango + pineapple + flaked coconut
- Carrot cake-inspired toppings – cream cheese topping, grated carrots, chopped walnuts, maple syrup
Oatmeal Toppings (50+ ideas)
RATE THE RECIPE
(click on the stars)
- fresh fruit: bananas, berries, pears, apples, plums, apricots, grapes, sweet cherries, diced mango, pineapple, orange slices, grapefruit slices
- dried fruit: cranberries, sour cherries, raisins, dried apricots, freeze-dried strawberries
- nuts: walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts, cashews, roasted and salted peanuts, shredded or flaked coconut, pistachios
- seeds: chia seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pomegranate seeds
- nut butter: peanut butter, almond butter
- runny sweeteners: honey, maple syrup, date syrup, agave syrup
- sauteed cinnamon apples
- saucy spiced pears
- yogurt: plain/flavored or Greek
- chocolate: chocolate chunks or chips milk/bittersweet/semi-sweet/white
- spices: cinnamon, apple pie spice, pumpkin pie spice, gingerbread spice mix
- cream cheese topping
- indulgent options: whipped cream, caramel sauce, hot fudge sauce, jam, chocolate hazelnut spread, chocolate sauce
- Choose your favorite toppings and top your oatmeal with them.