This is definitely my favorite way to prepare fresh corn on the cob – oven-roasted corn on the cob is delicious on its own, but this herb and chili butter elevates it to another level! Try it, especially now, when fresh corn is in season, you will definitely love it. Corn cobs prepared this way are tender, naturally sweet, juicy, aromatic and addictive. Preparation literally takes a moment.
If you own a pressure cooker, you can also make amazing corn on the cob in your Instant Pot.
How to serve oven-roasted corn on the cob:
Corn on the cob can be eaten as an appetizer – it’s perfect for a picnic or a grill party.
You can serve it as a side dish, for example with this soup – pumpkin ginger and orange soup, or with any other summer soup (I think it goes extremely well with a pumpkin soup though!).
You can also cut off the kernels and use them to make other dishes, like a salad – for example this broccoli egg salad with corn and honey mustard dressing or chicken quesadillas or use as a taco topping.
How to cut corn off the cob:
Hold a cob vertically on a cutting board and using a sharp knife cut the kernels away from the cob in long downward strokes.
What to do with leftover corn cobs:
Don’t throw away the naked corn cobs – they can be used to prepare:
- corn stock, it will taste slightly sweeter and be a great base for a corn chowder
- corncob jelly (recipe from taste of home)
If you don’t plan on cooking anything with the corn cobs soon, you can freeze them and use later (like add to a corn soup while it’s simmering, for extra corn flavor).
You’ll need corn on the cob – with or without the husks. If you’ll use corn on the cob with husk you don’t need to cover the baking dish with the aluminum foil. Spread the herbed butter under the husk. Make sure all the butter is covered so it won’t burn.
Herbed butter – you can use any of your favorite herbs and seasonings and combine them with butter. I like it most seasoned simply – just with fresh parsley, garlic powder, chili flakes, and salt. Other fresh herbs like cilantro would also work great. As for the seasonings, I also like it with Cajun seasoning.
How to roast corn on the cob in the oven step by step:
STEP 1: Prepare all the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6. Wash and pat dry the corn ears (remove the external husk).
STEP 2: Prepare the herb and chili butter ingredients.
STEP 3: Mix the butter with chili flakes, garlic, chopped parsley, and salt together.
STEP 4: Spread the butter mixture over each corn. Place the corn ears in a casserole dish. Cover the dish with aluminum foil. Bake for about 45 minutes or until tender.
You can store roasted corn in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or in a microwave until warm.
Oven-roasted corn on the cob with herb and chilli butter
- 6 ears corn
- 6 heaped tablespoons butter 1 stick / 4 oz / 115g
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- a small handful grated Parmesan cheese optional, not necessary
- lemon / lime quarters to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6, no fan (if you have a convection oven reduce the temperature by about 20° or follow the manufacturer's instructions).
- Wash and pat dry the corn ears (remove the external husk).
- Mix the butter with chili flakes, garlic, chopped parsley, and salt together. Spread the butter mixture over each corn (from all sides), making sure to rub it thoroughly.
- Place the corn ears in a casserole dish, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese (optional, it will be also very good without the cheese). Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until tender.
- Before serving, check if the corn is salty enough (especially if you haven’t used the parmesan cheese, which is already salty).
- Serve the corn with the butter from the botton of the dish, sprinkle with lemon / lime juice.
- Calories count = 1 corn on the cob.
- You can use less butter if you wish.
- This roasted corn on the cob tastes best warm, just after baking.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you liked it and give it a star rating in the comments below! You can also add a photo of your creation!