A twist on the classic shredded carrot apple salad. It’s slightly sweet and sour – the sweetness of carrots, apples, and raisins is balanced with lemon juice. The addition of cinnamon, walnuts, and coconut adds amazing flavor and crunch!
Love crunchy packed with flavor salads? Try this red cabbage apple slaw with pomegranate and walnuts!
Carrot and apple salad is a traditional side dish in my family. It was served very often with a traditional Polish dinner (breaded chicken/pork cutlets + potatoes + salad/slaw). The traditional version of this salad, just like my grandma is making, consists of only 3 ingredients – apple, carrot and sometimes lemon juice. I’m making this simple salad very often, especially for my daughter who likes it very much, but I came up with another version that I absolutely LOVE. I added raisins, cinnamon, walnuts, shredded coconut and coconut oil to the basic recipe. All these ingredients go perfectly together, this salad is really delicious and so full of flavor. The longer it rests the better it gets, this will soften the walnuts and shredded coconut texture, and all the ingredients will blend together.
How to make carrot apple salad step by step:
STEP 1+2: Wash and peel 1 lb/450g carrots and 1 medium/large sweet apple. Grate the carrots on the small holes of a box grated and the apple on the big holes of a box grater.
STEP 3: Optionally, you can toast 1/4 cup of walnuts on a dry pan until they are fragrant and lightly browned. You can do the same with the shredded coconut. When the nuts are ready take them off the pan immediately because they can easily burn.
STEP 4: Add all the salad ingredients (carrots, apple, walnuts, 2 Tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut, 1 Tbsp coconut oil, a big pinch of cinnamon, 1/4 cup of raisins, 3 Tbsp lemon juice) into a big bowl and stir together until combined.
Serve immediately or better wait for about half an hour or longer (store the salad in the refrigerator). After this time, the walnuts and coconut flakes will slightly soften, and the raisins will soak up the apple and carrot juice, the salad will taste better
Carrot apple salad with raisins, cinnamon, walnuts and coconut
- 1 lb carrots (450g)
- 1 medium/large apple sweet or sweet-sour variety
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- a large pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup walnuts roughly chopped and roasted in a dry pan
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil unrefined
- 2 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
- Wash and peel the carrots and the apple.
- Grate the carrot on the small holes of a box grated and the apple on the big holes of a box grater.
- Add all the salad ingredients into a big bowl and stir together until combined.
- Serve immediately or better wait for about half an hour or longer (store the salad in the refrigerator). After this time, the walnuts and coconut flakes will slightly soften, and the raisins will soak up the apple and carrot juice, the salad will taste better.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you liked it and give it a star rating in the comments below! You can also add a photo of your creation!