Pumpkin and cranberry muffins
Delicious muffins with pumpkin puree and fresh cranberries. Thanks to the pumpkin puree they are perfectly moist and just irresistable!
Pumpkin puree is very easy to make. All you need to do is cut the pumpkin into large, equal-sized pieces. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon and roast until tender. For this recipe I used Hokkaido pumpkin – it’s quite dry and mealy, which makes it great for baking. Fresh cranberries add a lot of flavour, also their juiciness and sourness balances perfectly the sweetness of the muffins.
Optionally, you can decorate the muffins with spider web designs, made from cocoa icing. Perfect for Halloween!
Check out also my other pumpkin recipes! Pumpkin pie apple ring pancakes, pumpkin and mushroom lasagne are really worth a try. This is my lately favourite dinner – chicken breast in creamy mushroom and butternut squash sauce it’s really delicious!
Pumpkin and cranberry muffins
- 170 g / 6 oz all-purpose flour about 1 ¼ cup
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon preferably ceylon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 260 g / 9.1 oz pumpkin puree about 1 cup
- 1 large egg
- 100 g vegetable oil neutral tasting, about ½ cup minus 1 tablespoon
- 20 g / 0.7 oz plain yoghurt 1 tablespoon
- 140 g / 5 oz granulated sugar about 2/3 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 80 g / 2.8 oz fresh cranberries about ¾ cup, about 4 pieces per muffin
cocoa icing (optional):
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3.5 tablespoons water
- All ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C / 350 °F / gas 4.
- Mix and sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- In another large bowl, whisk all the we ingredients together smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, whish until just combined, don‘t overmix the batter, it can have small lumps.
- Divide the batter into the 10 muffin cups (you can scoop it with an ice cream spoon)
- Add 4 cranberries to each muffin, use the blunt end of a chopstick or your finger and poke the cranberries into the batter until submerged.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. The baking time may slightly vary, depending on the oven.
- Cool on rack for 10-15 minutes, before removing the paper cups. Decorate with the cocoa icing, if you wish.
- Sift powdered sugar and cocoa into a small bowl and mix with water. My icing tasted like a dark chocolate. Iif you want it to be sweeter, you need to replace a part of the cocoa powder with powdered sugar. You will need a very small round cake decorating tip and a thick plastic zip lock bag (or a special cake decorating kit). Cut a small hole in the corner of the plastic bag, push the tip through. Fill the bag with icing and decorate. If the icing doesn‘t come out easily through the tip, you need to thin out the icing by adding additional water to it (but very little!).
Pumpkin and cranberry muffins – step by step:
In one bowl mix all the dry ingredients together, in the second bowl – the wet ones. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, whisk until just combined.
Scoop the batter with an ice cream scoop and divide into the 10 muffin cups. Put 4 fresh cranberries on each muffin and submerge them into the batter. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Decorate the muffins with the cocoa icing, if you wish.
Did you make this recipe? Let mi know how you liked it in the comments below!
Last Updated on