This baileys hot chocolate is delicious, warming and spiked with creamy Baileys liquor. It will take you just 5 minutes to enjoy this indulgent drink!
Below you will find information about the ingredients and how to prepare the recipe. For the measurements and detailed instructions scroll down to the printable recipe card.
Here´s what you need to make this easy recipe:
- Milk – use whole milk for the best flavor. I have also tried substituting a small part of milk for heavy cream to make it more rich but I´ve found the drink too heavy. It is far better to use corn starch to make the hot chocolate thicker and more rich.
- Chocolate – I think the key to the best hot chocolate is to use real chocolate, not just cocoa powder. I recommend using baking chocolate (not regular chocolate) because it melts better or chocolate chips. I used bittersweet Lindt baking chocolate for this recipe – it´s excellent quality.
- Cocoa powder – unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-processed – it tastes far better than natural (regular) cocoa powder.
- Corn starch – thickens the chocolate and gives it a nice rich mouthfeel (your hot chocolate won´t taste floury!)
- Cinnamon – just a touch for flavor (it won´t taste like cinnamon). Instead of cinnamon, you could also add pumpkin pie spice or gingerbread spice mix!
- Salt – just a pinch of salt to balance the sweetness. A pinch of salt is needed in every sweet recipe.
- Brown sugar – to sweeten hot chocolate (this recipe won´t be too sweet, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar is perfect).
- Baileys liqueur (Irish cream) – is a delicious creamy liqueur – its flavor goes perfectly with hot chocolate. It´s my favorite alcohol to use in hot chocolate. You can substitute with bourbon + more brown sugar, Kahlua liqueur (coffee liqueur), Amaretto liqueur (almond liqueur), or chocolate liqueur (omit brown sugar because it´s usually very sweet).
- Baileys liqueur is made with Irish whiskey, cream, and cocoa. It´s a product of Ireland. It´s low in alcohol – only 17% ABV, which is a lot less that whiskey/whisky (40%).
Step by step instructions
STEP 1: Add all the ingredients except Baileys into a medium pot.
STEP 2: Whisk until corn starch is dissolved. A spiral/sauce whisk (pictured) is perfect for this recipe although a balloon whisk also works well.
STEP 3: Place the pot on a burner and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 minute (to cook off floury taste of corn starch), whisking often (make sure that nothing sticks to the bottom and sides of the pot).
STEP 4: Let stand for 2 minutes to cool slightly (whisk it from time to time) then whisk in Baileys.
STEP 5: Pour into a heat-proof mug.
STEP 6: Top with mini marshmallows (optional).
Instead of marshmallows, you could top your hot chocolate with whipped cream.
This hot chocolate is best enjoyed fresh but you could store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat over very low heat until warm.
Did you make this recipe? RATE THE RECIPE or tell me in the COMMENTS how you liked it! You can also add a photo of your dish. It would make me very happy and will help other readers. Thank you!!
Baileys Hot Chocolate
RATE THE RECIPE
(click on the stars)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 ounce (30g) bittersweet baking chocolate or chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder sifted!
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Baileys liqueur
- mini marshmallows as a topping, optional
- Add all the ingredients except Baileys into a medium pot. Whisk until corn starch is dissolved. A spiral/sauce whisk (pictured) is perfect for this recipe although a balloon whisk also works well.
- Place the pot on a burner and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 minute (to cook off floury taste of corn starch), whisking often (make sure that nothing sticks to the bottom and sides of the pot).
- Let stand for 2 minutes to cool slightly (whisk it from time to time) then whisk in Baileys.
- Pour into a heat-proof mug. Top with mini marshmallows (optional).
- Calories = 1 serving (whole recipe). This is only an estimate!
- To make a stronger drink, add 3 tablespoons of Baileys, it´s also very delicious, just a little bit stronger. I prefer 2 tablespoons for a drink that is pleasantly easy to drink.
- Calories = 1 serving (the whole recipe). This is only an estimate!