These delicious cheesy zucchini and corn fritters are soft in the middle and crispy on the edges. They’re so tasty!! It’s also a great way to sneak some veggies into a meal. My daughter is not a fan of zucchini but she likes these fritters very much 🙂
We also love these sweet potato zucchini fritters with cucumber corn salsa!
Why this recipe works:
I’ve been testing this recipe for a while. The key to success is squeezing out as much water from the zucchini as possible. Adding a little salt makes it easy, it extracts water from the vegetable. From 1 kg of zucchini, you can get 700g of water! Then you just have to season the zucchini with garlic, French/Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese. Served with a fried egg and plain yogurt on the side are just heavenly! Give them a go!
Step by step instructions:
Cheesy zucchini and corn fritters
- 1 kg / 2.2 lbs zucchini + 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 50 g / 2.1 oz grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence french or italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 80 g / 2.8 oz corn canned, 5 heaped tablespoons
- 4 tablespoons flour 40g / 1.4 oz
- salt and pepper to taste, I added approx. ¾ teaspoon salt and 1/3 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons plain yoghurt
- lemon juice
- Grate the zucchini on the large holes of a grater (or in a food processor). Mix with a teaspoon of salt, set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare all the other ingredients.
- When the water is released, place the zucchini in a kitchen towel / cheesecloth and wring out the water. You have to do it really well, the more water you squeeze out, the less flour you need to add – the fritters will be more delicate. I’ve got about 300g / 10.6 oz zucchini left! (you can discard the liquid).
- Mix the zucchini with the remaining ingredients.
- For cooking the fritters you have to use a non-stick pan (I used a pancake pan), as they‘re a bit fragile. Heat clarified butter in a pan. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of batter for each fritter. Flatten to a thickness of ¾ cm / 1/3 inch, even out the edges. Cook over medium heat, for a few minutes on each side, until golden. The easiest way to flip the fritters over, is with a silicone spatula, while simultaneously holding a fritter from the top with the convex side of the spoon.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Fry the eggs in the same pan (you can cover the pan with a lid, this way the egg whites will set faster), you can also poach the eggs. The egg whites should be set, but the egg yolks still runny.
- Serve the fritters with the fried eggs and plain yogurt on the side, sprinkle with lemon juice. Serve warm.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you liked it and give it a star rating in the comments below! You can also add a photo of your creation!