This banana oatmeal with passion fruit is a great way to start your day. This tropical oatmeal features sweet bananas and maple syrup, sweet and sour passion fruits, and refreshing lime juice. It’s finished with a hint of coconut from coconut oil and shredded coconut. This sweet and sour marriage of flavors will leave you wanting for more. This delicious oatmeal is super easy and quick to make!
- Oats – I used quick cooking oats – these are regular oats that have been chopped into smaller pieces, that’s why they cook quicker – about 2-3 minutes. You can also use rolled oat but you need to cook them longer, for about 10 minutes.
- Bananas – it’s a great way to use up ripe bananas if you don’t feel like making banana bread!
- Passion fruit – look for ripe passion fruit that has wrinkled skin (like in the photos). If you like this tropical fruit you can also make passion fruit curd or passion fruit tart!
- Coconut oil – makes the oatmeal creamy and smells beautiful. You can omit it if you don’t have it.
- Maple syrup – you can use honey or xylitol instead.
- Lime juice – use lemon juice instead.
- Milk – you can use cow’s milk or plant-based milk like almond milk or oat milk (make sure it’s unsweetened or don’t add maple syrup).
- Curcuma – it’s optional, I only added it to improve the color of this oatmeal but also it’s very healthy.
- Salt – just a pinch to season the oatmeal.
- Shredded coconut – to sprinkle on top, adds texture and flavor.
How to make it step by step:
STEP 1: Add the oats, milk, turmeric, and salt into a medium pot.
STEP 2: Cook for about 3 minutes, until the oats are soft, stirring from time to time (If you‘re using rolled oats, you need to cook them for about 10 minutes). Add more liquid if necessary.
STEP 3: Remove the pot from the heat, add in mashed with fork bananas.
STEP 4: Cut the passion fruit in half and scoop out seeds with a spoon, add to the pot.
STEP 5: Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, and lime juice.
STEP 6: Stir all the ingredients together.
This oatmeal reheats very well. If you plan on storing it for more than a couple of hours bring it to a boil (to cook all the ingredients), then cool down and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. It also freezes very well. Thaw in the fridge then reheat in a pot. Add more milk if necessary (cooled oatmeal becomes very thick).
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you liked it and give it a star rating in the comments below! You can also add a photo of your creation!
Banana oatmeal with passion fruit
- 1 cup (100g) oats rolled oats or quick-cooking oats
- 1 ⅔ cup (400 ml) cow / vegetable milk
- ½ teaspoon turmeric optional
- small pinch of salt
- 2 bananas smashed with a fork, preferably ripe
- 2 small passion fruits flesh scooped out with a spoon
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons lime juice or lemon juice
- to sprinkle: shredded unsweetened coconut
- Add the oats, milk, turmeric, and salt into a medium pot. Cook for about 3 minutes, until the oats are soft, stirring from time to time (if you‘re using rolled oats, you need to cook them for about 10 minutes). Add more liquid if necessary.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add all the remaining ingredients (mashed with fork bananas, coconut oil, maple syrup, and lime juice). Cut the passion fruit in half and scoop out seeds with a spoon, add to the pot. Stir all the ingredients together.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut, serve warm.
- Calories = 1 serving (1/2 of the recipe). This is only an estimate!
- Storage: if you want to store the oatmeal, bring it first to the boil, then store in the fridge for up to 2 days. The oatmeal can be easily reheated.