This chicken spread is made with cooked chicken meat, sun-dried tomatoes, cream cheese, and seasoned with basil and parmesan cheese. It’s a great way to use up leftover chicken meat – rotisserie chicken or boiled chicken meat from homemade chicken broth.
I absolutely love it on soft pretzels spread with butter, it’s delish!
- Chicken – you can use any mild-flavored leftover chicken meat (I mean, something Thai-flavored or Mexican-flavored just won’t work with the other ingredients for this recipe). If you’ve ever wondered what to do with leftover meat from homemade chicken broth – this recipe is perfect! I actually used leftover chicken meat from this Polish chicken soup, which is basically a very good clear chicken broth. I also added some chicken broth to thin out the spread, you can add just water or more oil from the sun-dried tomatoes if you don’t have it.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: you need to use tomatoes in oil sold in a jar, and not dried tomatoes in a packet, because we also need this aromatic oil for the recipe.
- Cream cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Dried basil – sub with Italian seasoning or thyme.
How to make it step by step
STEP 1: Simply place all the ingredients in a food processor bowl. Parmesan cheese should be shredded or cut into smaller pieces.
STEP 2: Blend until well combined and smooth. Add more oil from the sun-dried tomatoes or chicken broth if the spread is too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
How to serve it
- as a dip – serve it with pretzel bites, baguette slices, veggies (celery ribs, carrots, cucumbers)
- as a spread – on a piece of bread/rolls/soft pretzels spread with butter, I especially love it with soft pretzels!
This chicken spread keeps well in the fridge, for up to 5 days.
Did you make this recipe? RATE THE RECIPE or tell me in the COMMENTS how you liked it! You can also add a photo of your dish. It would make me very happy and will help other readers. Thank you!!
Chicken spread recipe
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken 135g
- 1/4 cup cream cheese 60g
- 5 pieces sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil from the sun-dried tomato jar
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth add more oil if you don’t have broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or cut into smaller pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor bowl.
- Blend until well combined and smooth. Add more oil from the sun-dried tomatoes or chicken broth if the spread is too thick.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as a dip or on bread/soft pretzels spread with butter.
Calories = whole recipe. This is only an estimate!