Garlic butter rice makes an easy and delicious side dish that goes literally with anything! It’s buttery and garlicky with a hint of refreshing citrus flavor from the lemon juice. It’s so good you will eat it straight from the pot!
Here’s what you need to make garlic butter rice:
- Long grain white rice
- Chicken broth or vegetable broth or just water
- Fresh garlic
- Lemon juice – this is an ingredient that most recipe don’t call for but I think it makes such a difference, just a small amount adds a refreshing flavor to the dish. I recently made this cilantro lime rice and it was the lime juice that added such an amazing refreshing flavor to it I could not stop eating it. Then I wanted to make something similar that would be more garlicky and would go with most dishes. I came up with this recipe, it was delicious but something was missing – it was the lemon juice. It really makes such a difference. You can add more than written in the recipe!
- Parsley – as a garnish. Adds flavor and a pop of color!
How to make it step by step
STEP 1: Finely chop garlic – preferably with a knife and not a garlic press. Garlic pressed through a garlic press has a more harsh flavor while finely chopped garlic has more of the garlic aroma while not being as harsh.
Melt the butter in a medium pot. When hot add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until the garlic is fragrant.
STEP 2: Add the rice and cook, stirring, for about 30-60 seconds, until all the rice grains are coated in butter.
STEP 3: Add the broth and stir.
STEP 4: Close the pot with a lid (preferably transparent), bring to a boil then reduce the temperature to low and cook for 14 minutes.
Take the pot off the heat and leave it (covered) to rest for 10 minutes.
STEP 5: Fluff the rice with a fork and season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
STEP 6: Serve topped with chopped parsley.
You can keep this rice side dish in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. It reheats very well, you can reheat it in a microwave/oven or in a non-stick pan.
You can also freeze it for up to 3-4 months.
What to serve it with
This garlic butter rice goes literally with anything, but it would be especially good with:
- Parmesan crusted cod
- Pistachio crusted fish
- Orange maple salmon
- Baked turkey tenderloin
- Mayo Parmesan Chicken
- Breaded chicken cutlets
- Chicken Fritters
- Salmon with almonds and orange ginger sauce
- Lemon Thyme Chicken Breast
Did you make this recipe? RATE THE RECIPE or tell me in the COMMENTS how you liked it! You can also add a photo of your dish. It would make me very happy and will help other readers. Thank you!!
Garlic Butter Rice
RATE THE RECIPE
(click on the stars)
- 3 tablespoons butter 45g
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup long grain rice 190g
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or water, 360g
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley to serve
- Finely chop garlic (preferably with a knife and not a garlic press).
- Melt the butter in a medium pot. When hot add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, for about 30-60 seconds, until all the rice grains are coated in butter.
- Add the broth, close the pot with a lid (preferably transparent), bring to a boil then reduce the temperature to low and cook for 14 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat and leave it (covered) to rest for 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Serve topped with chopped parsley.