A delicious coconut, pineapple, and yogurt alcohol-free drink. It’s based on a recipe for a pina colada drink and an Indian yogurt beverage – lassi. I got inspired by my mango lassi recipe and wanted to make something similar! Virgin pina colada is delicious, very refreshing and tastes amazing.
I also have a recipe for classic Pina Colada.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE NON-ALCOHOLIC PINA COLADA:
- The base of the drink consists of pineapple juice, coconut water, passion fruit juice (or lime juice), yogurt, and homemade coconut syrup. Coconut syrup really boosts the coconut flavor of the drink.
- Spices, which are optional. You don’t add a lot, so they are not noticeable but the make the taste of pina colada lassi more interesting and complex!
HOW TO MAKE VIRGIN PINA COLADA:
- Make the coconut syrup.
- Combine coconut syrup with pineapple juice, coconut water and passion fruit juice/lime juice.
- Optionally season with spices.
- Serve chilled!
HOW TO MAKE COCONUT SYRUP – it’s very simple!
- Add shredded coconut, water and sugar into a small pot.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 min, until reduced by about half.
- Strain the shredded coconut on a sieve. I had about 5 Tbsp / 75 ml syrup left).
The shredded coconut will no longer be needed to make the drink.
What to do with leftover shredded coconut from coconut syrup:
- it can be used for decoration – you can sprinkle it on top of the drink
- it can be used to rim a glass with (like you would do with margarita – first you‘ll need to wet the lip of the glass with water, holding it upside down, and then coat the entire rim of the glass with shredded coconut).
- Instead of passion fruit juice you can add lime juice. I prefer it with passion fruit juice, as its taste is not only sour but also a little sweet and fruity.
- You can omit the yogurt.
- You can omit the spices or just add the ones you have in your pantry.
- I don’t recommend adding canned coconut milk instead of coconut water. You could swap a part of it, though. Adding only coconut milk would make the drink taste too rich and fatty.
HOW TO JUICE THE PASSION FRUIT:
Cut the passion fruit in half. Using a spoon, scoop the pulp out into a mesh strainer, use the back of a wooden spoon to press the pulp through a strainer, leaving the seeds behind. To make straining easier you can blend the seeds with the pulp in a food processor or in a blender and then strain through a sieve.
Pina Colada Lassi – Non-Alcoholic Pina Colada Recipe
RATE THE RECIPE
(click on the stars)
- 4 cups pineapple juice 1 liter
- 2.5 cups coconut water not coconut milk, 600 ml
- 5 tablespoons passion fruit juice from 1 big yellow passion fruit or about 4 small ones, or 3-4 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon rose water can be omitted
- ground cardamom very little, a small pinch of the spice
- ground cinnamon very little, a small pinch of the spice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Make the coconut syrup: add all the ingredients to a small pot, cook over medium-low heat for about 10 min, until reduced by about half. Strain through a sieve (I had about 5 Tbsp / 75 ml syrup left). The shredded coconut will no longer be needed.
- Juice the passion fruit: cut the passion fruit in half. Using a spoon, scoop the pulp out into a mesh strainer, use the back of a wooden spoon to press the pulp through a strainer, leaving the seeds behind. To make straining easier you can blend the seeds with the pulp in a food processor or in a blender and then strain through a sieve.
- Mix all the ingredients for pina colada lassi with coconut syrup and spices together.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you liked it and give it a star rating in the comments below! You can also add a photo of your creation!