Pita chips are so easy to make at home and taste so much better than store-bought. Just be careful, it’s super easy to eat too many! We love them with this delicious tzatziki dip.
Below you will find information about the ingredients and how to prepare the recipe. For the measurements and detailed instructions scroll down to the printable recipe card.
Here’s what you need to make this easy recipe:
- Pita bread
- Olive oil
- Seasoning of your choice (optional) – I seasoned mine with oregano. Zaatar seasoning mix works also well if you have it. Make sure to use only dried herbs, fresh would burn in the oven.
How to make pita chips step by step (in the oven)
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
Cut each pita bread into 6 triangles.
TIP: some recipes call for separating pita bread into two layers. I’m not a fan of such pita chips – they come out crunchy, almost like crackers, they also absorb more olive oil (the inside of pita bread is more oil-absorbent). I prefer pita chips made from full-thickness pita bread – they are very crispy on the outside but still slightly chewy in the middle.
Brush with olive oil on both sides, season with salt and oregano.
Place pita triangles apart on a large baking sheet (without parchment paper).
Bake for about 13-15 minutes or until golden brown in color.
(If you’re making pita chips made from a single layer pita bread – bake them for 10-12 minutes.)
Let rest on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes.
Air Fryer Pita Chips
Pita chips can also be made in an air fryer! They come out great – super crispy. Please note that this recipe has been tested in a toaster oven that has an air fryer option (I have this one, not an aff. link) and not in a traditional air fryer. From what I’ve seen on other websites, the cooking times differ from device to device and it seems that many ingredients take a little bit longer to cook in the air fryer/toaster oven combo that I have. Nonetheless, it works and the results are great.
How to do it: Prepare your pita chips as described in the recipe then cook them at the air fryer setting in the air fryer basket at 375°F (190°C) for about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- we absolutely love these pita chips with tzatziki dip – so good!
- serve it with hummus, beer cheese dip, avocado sauce, ranch dressing
- with a Greek salad or chicken Caesar salad instead of croutons
- Greek chicken bowls
- serve it with creamy soups
These pita chips are unfortunately the best on the day they were made. The next day, even if you reheat them, they are rather just dry and crunchy (instead of crunchy and chewy). I would recommend making just as many as you plan to eat.
Let the pita chips cool completely and store them in a tightly closed container.
Did you make this recipe? RATE THE RECIPE or tell me in the COMMENTS how you liked it! You can also add a photo of your dish. It would make me very happy and will help other readers. Thank you!!
Homemade Pita Chips
RATE THE RECIPE
(click on the stars)
- 3 pita bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut each pita bread into 6 triangles (see photos in the post for a reference).
- Brush with olive oil on both sides, season with salt and oregano.
- Place pita triangles apart on a large baking sheet (without parchment paper).
- Bake for about 13-15 minutes or until golden brown in color.
- Let rest on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes, then enjoy!
- The baking time provided is for pita bread that has been not separated into two parts. I prefer thicker pita chips – they are very crispy on the outside but still slightly chewy in the middle. If you prefer thinner pita chips, you can cut pita bread into triangles then separate each triangle into two thinner triangles. Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until golden. These pita chips are more crispy and more like crackers. They will also absorb more olive oil because the inside of pita bread is more oil-absorbent than the outside.
- Calories = whole recipe. This is only an estimate!