Crispy vegetables with tender and aromatic chicken in sweet and sour sauce. This popular in Chinese restaurants dish can be very easy and quickly prepared at home. My version is a little lightened up in comparison to the takeaway. The restaurant version is most often too sweet and fatty for me. In my recipe, I combined chicken breast with noodles, mushrooms and a lot of vegetables. It’s super tasty but also quite healthy, as it‘s packed with veggies! You can use whatever vegetables you have in your fridge, but my favorite combination is mushrooms, carrots, bell paprika, and green beans. The sauce is sweet and sour, obviously, but not overly sweet, it‘s well-balanced. Don‘t be afraid of a large amount of garlic, it‘s chopped so it‘s not as sharp as the pressed one. The chicken is very flavorful, but not overly garlicky. This sweet and sour chicken stir fry is one of your favorite dinners!
Other versions of this dish:
- If you‘d rather have a sweet-sour chicken with rice, check out this recipe: sweet sour chicken with pineapple and bell paprika, served on rice.
- I also have for you a similar dish: chicken with noodles in Chinese sweet-sour plum sauce!
Sweet and sour chicken with noodles and vegetables
- 2 small chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons frying oil
- 4 cm / 2 inch piece of ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes or to taste
- salt to taste
noodles + green beans:
- 125 g / 4.4 oz Mie noodles egg noodles
- 100 g / 3.5 oz green beans (I used frozen)
mushrooms and other vegetables:
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 200 g / 7 oz cremini mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 medium carrots 150g / 5.3 oz
sweet sour sauce:
- 6 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons potato / corn starch
- Prepare the chicken: Cut the chicken into 2 cm /1-inch cubes, mix with 1 tablespoon of oil, finely chopped ginger and garlic and chilli flakes, season to taste with salt. Cook right away or leave to marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Cook the noodles and green beans: place in a medium pot, pour in boiling water, add a little salt, cook for 4 minutes, then strain.
- Prepare the vegetables: cut the mushrooms into 5 mm / ¼ inch slices, bell pepper into 5 mm / ¼ inch stripes, carrots into very thin matchsticks.
- Whisk all the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan, cook the chicken over high heat for 2 minutes (no stirring), then on the other 1-2 minutes more, or until cooked through. Transfer on a plate. It‘s important not to overcook the chicken, otherwise, it will be tough, cook it only until it changes its color from pink to white.
- Add another tablespoon of oil, carrots and bell paprika to the same pan, cook for 5 minutes, until tender and browned, but still a little crunchy. Transfer on a plate.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for about 4 minutes, until browned but still crunchy.
- Add the chicken and vegetables back to the pan, add the cooked noodles and green beans and the sauce. Toss everything together, bring to a boil. Transfer to plates and serve.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you liked it and give it a star rating in the comments below! You can also add a photo of your creation!