Crunchy celery and walnuts, sweet and sour apple, and golden melted goat cheese on toasts. Tossed in creamy and sharp orange honey dressing. This apple celery salad is crunchy, fresh and so delicious! It’s very fulfilling, so you could enjoy it as a light lunch, but it’s also elegant, perfect to serve your guests at a party.
Ingredients / ingredient substitutions:
– this salad is a great opportunity to use up leftover celery stalks, once you’ve taken away a stick or two for your spaghetti Bolognese or meatless tomato sauce (you can make celery leaf pesto from celery leaves!)
– instead of apple, you can add an orange or a pear
– instead of walnuts, you can add pecans
– use melting goat cheese with rind, not soft, spreadable goat cheese (here you’ll find a guide to goat cheese varieties)
– use an apple that is a little sour (my preference) or a green apple, rather than a sweet apple variety
How to make apple celery salad step by step:
1. Make the goat cheese toasts.
2. Wash and spin dry the salad.
3. Toast the nuts on a dry pan until fragrant.
4. Make the orange honey dressing.
5. Chop the celery stalks.
6. Slice the apple and mix with lemon juice.
7. Arrange the salad on a big plate, top with celery pieces, apple slices, goats’s cheese toasts, sprinkle with nuts and spoon over the dressing.
How to make it ahead:
You can prepare all the ingredients and store them separately (wash and spin dry the salad – store it in a tightly closed container, make the sauce, toast the nuts, and make the cheese toasts). Peel and chop the apples and combine all the ingredients just before serving!
If you’re looking for other recipes using walnuts, try these:
- gorgonzola and walnut spaghetti
- red cabbage, apple, pomegranate, and walnuts slaw
- apple walnut and honey cake
Apple celery salad with walnuts and goat cheese
- 2 handfuls salad mix
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium apple or orange/pear
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- small handful walnuts
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 slices bread or 6 slices baguette
- 3.5 oz goat cheese 100g
orange honey dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- zest from ½ orange optional
- 1 heaped teaspoon honey
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C / 400 °F / Gas Mark 6. Cut the cheese into slices, arrange the cheese slices over slices of bread or baguette, put in the oven and bake for a few minutes until the cheese is golden and melted. Cut the toasts into smaller pieces, if you wish.
- Wash the lettuce and spin dry in a salad spinner, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut the celery stalks into slices.
- Core the apple and cut into slices, mix with a tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Toast the walnuts and pumpkin seeds in a dry pan until lightly browned and fragrant, transfer on a plate (they can easily burn).
- Pour the dressing ingredients into a small jar, close the lid and shake vigorously until a thick sauce is created.
- Arrange the lettuce onto plates, top with cheese toasts, celery and apple slices, sprinkle with nuts and pour over the dressing.
- Ingredient substitutions:
- instead of an apple, you can add an orange or a pear
- instead of walnuts, you can add pecans
- use melting goat cheese with rind, not soft, spreadable goat cheese
- use an apple that is a little sour (my preference) or a green apple, rather than a sweet apple variety
- How to make it ahead: You can prepare all the ingredients and store them separately (wash and spin dry the salad – store it in a tightly closed container, make the sauce, toast the nuts, and make the cheese toasts). Peel and chop the apples and combine all the ingredients just before serving!
- Calories = 1 serving (1/2 of the recipe). This is only an estimate!
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you liked it and give it a star rating in the comments below! You can also add a photo of your creation!