This cherry lemonade is refreshing and bursting with cherry flavor. It´s a delicious alternative to classic lemonade or strawberry lemonade and a great way to use up lots of sweet cherries.
Why you will love this recipe
- There is no cooking and cooling sugar syrup – sugar is mixed with cherries in a blender, so there is no waiting time!
- This lemonade is packed with LOTS of cherries – it has a very strong cherry flavor.
- It has the perfect balance of sweet and tart.
- The recipe is very easy and comes together in just 15 minutes!
Below you will find information about the ingredients and how to prepare the recipe. For the measurements and detailed instructions scroll down to the printable recipe card.
Here´s what you need to make this easy recipe:
- cherries – please use sweet cherries for this recipe and not sour cherries
- lemons – use freshly-squeezed lemon juice for this recipe, it´s far better than store-bought lemon juice, you will also need zest of 1 lemon for this recipe for a more pronounced lemon flavor
- granulated sugar
- cold water
- ice cubes – to chill your lemonade
What you could also add:
- a couple of basil or mint leaves for a herby flavor
- lime juice instead of lemon juice (but you would probably need less since it´s more tart)
- for a healthier version you could try to swap sugar for agave syrup + xylitol, honey flavor may be a little bit too overpowering
STEP 1: Clean cherries and remove the stones.
Add to a blender container along with sugar and grated lemon zest.
STEP 2: Mix thoroughly until very smooth.
STEP 3: Strain pulp and skin through a sieve.
STEP 4: Add cherry puree to a large pitcher, add lemon juice and cold water. Stir until well combined.
Serve with ice cubes. Stir well before pouring into glasses.
You can garnish your lemonade with additional pitted cherries and lemon slices.
How to sweeten your lemonade: for us this lemonade recipe has the perfect balance of sweet and tart but if it´s not sweet enough for you (maybe your cherries were not very sweet?), you can´t just simply add more sugar to the liquid – it will fall down at the bottom of the pitcher and you will taste sugar crystals while drinking your lemonade. You can either mix in a blender a small amount of sugar with a small amount of cherries (thoroughly!) or make sugar syrup.
To make the sugar syrup, you need to combine equal amounts (by volume) of sugar and water in a small saucepan, heat until the sugar is dissolved, then cool down completely. Now you can sweeten your lemonade to your liking.
On the other hand, if you think your lemonade is too sweet, you can simply add more lemon juice or cold water to it.
How to make lemonade with frozen cherries – simply thaw your frozen cherries and proceed with the recipe.
This lemonade stores well until the next day. It can also be frozen.
You can easily make it ahead of time and chill it in the fridge.
More delicious lemonade recipes
Did you make this recipe? RATE THE RECIPE or tell me in the COMMENTS how you liked it! You can also add a photo of your dish. It would make me very happy and will help other readers. Thank you!!
RATE THE RECIPE
(click on the stars)
- 14 ounces (400g) pitted sweet cherries 3 cups cherries
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup lemon juice 4 medium lemons
- 3 cups (720ml) cold water
- ice cubes to serve
- Clean cherries and remove the stones.
- Add to a blender container along with sugar and grated lemon zest. Mix thoroughly until very smooth.
- Strain pulp and skin through a sieve.
- Add cherry puree to a large pitcher, add lemon juice and cold water. Stir until well combined.
- Serve with ice cubes. Stir well before pouring into glasses.
- You can garnish your lemonade with additional pitted cherries and lemon slices.
- Calories = 1 serving (1/6 of the recipe). This is only an estimate!